Hansel & Gretel : a shadow theatre book / Virginia Flynn ; design and concept by Joe Freedman
- Flynn, Virginia
- Freedman, Joe
- Grimm, Jacob 1785-1863
- Grimm, Wilhelm 1786-1859
- Smithsonian Libraries Artists' Books DSI
- Accordion fold, offset printing, Malmero Perla paper; a metallic acid-free paper portfolio with two lasercut walnut page holders. Includes instruction sheet.
- AAPGAB copy 39088016913071 gift from Susan R. Frampton.
- "A dark tale brought to life in five laser cut panels. You can read it as a book or project the artwork onto a wall with a flashlight. This project started three years ago when I was lasercutting an edition of "prints" for a gallery show of Virginia Flynn's artwork. She wanted a way to produce small editions of the papercuts she made by hand ... We got to talking about the shadows visible when the papercuts are displayed in galleries. The shadows are incredible and become part of the art. I wondered about using a small powerful flashlight that could be focused to put on a shadow show. I played with different sizes of the work and tons of different flashlights trying to find just the right combination. This idea turned into a book structure so all the images could stay in sequence. I've been intrigued by how we as individuals hold communal stories. I was drawn to the Hansel & Gretel fairytale because there are so many 'official' versions of the story ... Virginia started with this idea and then created five wonderful papercuts that defined the story. We reduced the scale of her large format papercuts so they fit in a compact book. The lasercut artwork can be viewed as a book or projected to create a great shadow show on any wall. Each panel of art has a small amount of accompanying text to highlight the action ..."-- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1765367532/hansel-and-gretel-a-shadow-theatre-book ( as viewed on 08/14/2013).
- Artists' books (books)
- Shadow shows
- Artists' books
- Physical description
- 1 book (5 panels) : ill. ; 12 x 17 cm., in box, topless with heavy, paper sleeve holder (15 x 18 x 3 cm.)
- Smithsonian Libraries
- Shadow shows
- Fairy tales in art
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)