"Grand Canyon" (border) dress silk, Mallinson's National Park series
Social Media Share Tools
- H. R. Mallinson & Co. Inc.
- A length of the Mallinson National Park series "Grand Canyon" border design in the "Khaki Kool" trademark Mallinson sport silk. A rough surface crepe fabric woven with warp of tussah silk and weft of tussah loosely twisted with a silk crepe yarn. Ornamental border of jacquard-woven figures, over-printed with design of the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River, Arizona. Selvage width; selvage insciption. In late 1926 American silk manufacturer H.R. Mallinson & Co. introduced a bold new line of printed silks, twelve landscape designs, each available in from eight to twelve colorways (color combinations) on three different ground fabrics. The designs celebrated America's national parks - then only a decade old. The designs represented all the usual styles necesssary for making clothing: allover prints, horizontal stripes, checks, a border design, etc. An additional allover design depicting the Grand Canyon was also donated by the firm. Note that the border design is oriented to the width (50") of this fabric and not to the length.
- Currently not on view
- Credit Line
- Gift of H.R. Mallinson & Co., Inc.
- ID Number
- accession number
- catalog number
- Object Name
- Fabric Length
- Physical Description
- silk (overall material)
- orange-pink ground (overall color)
- jacquard weave; cylinder-printed (overall production method/technique)
- overall: 36 in x 50 in; 91.44 cm x 127 cm
- place made
- United States: New York, New York City
- See more items in
- Home and Community Life: Textiles
- American Silks
- Mallinson's National Parks
- American Silk Industry
- Migel-Mallinson Silks
- National Museum of American History
- National Parks
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.