Decorative Gourd with Zigzag Design
- Ira Blount
- Versatile artisan Ira Blount found purpose and fulfillment in creating art out of naturally sourced and commercial materials. This decorative gourd contains both elements: human-made red and purple glass beads adorn a natural gourd decorated with a brown zigzag design. The contrast between the bright colors of the beads and the muted browns of the gourd draws attention to the variety in Blount’s materials.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- late 20th-early 21st Century
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- gourd, glass, waxed linen cord
- 2 15/16 × 4 1/8 in. (7.4 × 10.4 cm)
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.