Gifts from our elders / by Kerry McAleer-Keeler
- McAleer-Keeler, Kerry
- Joshua Heller Rare Books
- Title from pencilled script on back of box and Joshua Heller Rare Books website; date from website.
- Unique artists' book, signed by the artist on inside cover.
- "'Heredity, family origin, and womanhood are key topics addressed in my work. 'Gifts from Our Elders' reflects this celebration of femininity and famliy history. 'Gifts' is a book object that pays tribute to the things that are given to us through heredity and the gift of life. Old medical pop-ups point out the awards of sensitivity and the heart--while an image of the brain sectioned into zone parts denotes the favor of intellect and a love for the arts passed on by legacy and genetics. Lastly, Victorian French fashion advertisements communicate an ovation to virility, womanliness, and life cycle." -- Quote by the artist from Joshua Heller Rare Books website (viewed January 28, 2014).
- Materials used: Bookboard, decorative papers, bookcloth, cyanotype, and found materials: hourglass, antique glasses, wrapped manikin hand, medical and spiritual illustrations, feathers, sheet music, tides chart, butterfly, T.S. Eliot excerpt (The Four Quartets: East Coker) and French Victorian fashion advertisements. The contents of the box are visible through a piece of glass.
- Artists' books (books)
- Smithsonian Libraries artists' books
- Physical description
- 1 art original : paper, metal, glass, found objects ; in box 32 x 26 x 14 cm
- Smithsonian Libraries
- Artists' books
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Usage conditions apply