Thursday, Jan. 20, the Smithsonian's National Zoo and D.C.–area museums will delay opening until noon.
Garry Garber's DC Department of Recreation Roving Leaders Program jacket
- Garry Garber wore this jacket while working as a leader in the Roving Leaders Program of Washington, D.C.’s Department of Recreation from the 1960s to the 1990s. The program served to cultivate leadership, ethics, and a sense of purpose among young residents in underserved neighborhoods. Mr. Garber, a former professional boxer, mentored generations of Washingtonians who—until this day—honor his memory and attest to the positive impact he had on their lives and their neighborhood communities. He also played a vital role in the city of Washington’s early efforts to serve its Latino immigrant communities, beginning in the 1960s when he advocated for resources, social services, and support from the local government.
- Cite As
- Gift of the Garber Family
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- 30 1/2 × 62 in. (77.5 × 157.5 cm)
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)