Desmond Fitzgerald diary
- Fitzgerald, Desmond, 1846-1926
- Fitzgerald, Desmond
- Armory Show (1913 : Boston, Mass.)
- Armory Show (1913 : New York, N.Y.)
- Place of publication, production, or execution
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- Physical Description
- Diary : 1 v. : handwritten ; 18 x 9 cm.
- Includes clippings from various Boston newspapers about Copley Square and Fitzgerald's private art gallery (which was in construction during this year).
Fitzgerald notes the weather, correspondence received, the friends he sees, and his daily activities. He describes progress in the construction of his gallery, art purchases, local politics, and social events such as concerts, the theater and exhibits, or outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking and sailing. In particular he mentions a visit to the Armory Show in New York where he meets with Walt Kuhn and arranges to have the show travel to Boston, as well as administrative details of managing the show's Boston run.
Back pages are filled with miscellaneous notes and addenda to the daily entries. Notes include a list of the works on display in his gallery, and notes on different artistic media, artists, movements, and periods of art history.
- Desmond Fitzgerald. Desmond Fitzgerald diary, 1913. Desmond Fitzgerald papers, 1868-1927. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
- Use Note
- U.S. public domain
- Location Note
- Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution Washington, D.C. 20560
- Record number
- See more items in
- Desmond Fitzgerald papers, 1868-1927
- Archives of American Art
- Art--Collectors and collecting
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Usage conditions apply