Connector, Rocket Motor, Liquid Fuel, James H. Wyld, Serial No. 1
- James Hart Wyld
- This is a connector to a propellant line on the regeneratively-cooled liquid fuel rocket motor designed and built by James H. Wyld of the American Rocket Society (ARS) in 1937.
- One major problem faced by early rocket experimenters was overheating of their small motors. Wyld's solution was regenerative cooling. In this system, the propellant circulates around the motor in a cooling jacket before injection into the combustion chamber where it is ignited with the oxidizer (liquid oxygen). The pre-heated fuel also aids its combustion. The motor was successfuly tested in 1938 and 1941.
- Reaction Motors Division of Thiokol Chemical Corp. donated this object as part of the motor to the Smithsonian in 1952.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Thiokol Chemical Corporation, Reaction Motors Division
- ca. 1937
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- PROPULSION-Components (Engine Parts)
- Chrome plating
- Steel center part: 1-3/16" H x 1-1/2" Diameter (3 cm x 3.8 cm)
- 2 Brass "C" -shaped parts: 1" H x 1-1/4" W x 3/4" D (2.5 cm x 1.9 cm x 3.2 cm)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)