Christmas Day Delivery in Distant Cities Via American Airways Air Express
- American Airways
- Physical Description
- Christmas day delivery in distant cities via American Airways AIR EXPRESS. Multicolor air mail print. Airplane (Lockheed Orion) flies through starry night above snowy scene, Full text: "Christmas day delivery in distant cities via American Airways Air Express. Air express, purchases made here up to the last minute can be delivered on or before Christmas Day in cities 1,000 to 3,000 miles away"; Screen print.
- Fly Now: The National Air and Space Museum Poster Collection
- Throughout their history, posters have been a significant means of mass communication, often with striking visual effect. Wendy Wick Reaves, the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery Curator of Prints and Drawings, comments that "sometimes a pictorial poster is a decorative masterpiece-something I can't walk by without a jolt of aesthetic pleasure. Another might strike me as extremely clever advertising … But collectively, these 'pictures of persuasion,' as we might call them, offer a wealth of art, history, design, and popular culture for us to understand. The poster is a familiar part of our world, and we intuitively understand its role as propaganda, promotion, announcement, or advertisement."
- Reaves' observations are especially relevant for the impressive array of aviation posters in the National Air and Space Museum's 1300+ artifact collection. Quite possibly the largest publicly-held collection of its kind in the United States, the National Air and Space Museum's posters focus primarily on advertising for aviation-related products and activities. Among other areas, the collection includes 19th-century ballooning exhibition posters, early 20th-century airplane exhibition and meet posters, and twentieth-century airline advertisements.
- The posters in the collection represent printing technologies that include original lithography, silkscreen, photolithography, and computer-generated imagery. The collection is significant both for its aesthetic value and because it is a unique representation of the cultural, commercial and military history of aviation. The collection represents an intense interest in flight, both public and private, during a significant period of its technological and social development.
- Credit Line
- Found in Collection. Donor unknown. Copyright restrictions. As of 6/27/2005 contact Ip.Administrator@aa.com
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- ART-Posters, Original Art Quality
- Poster, Advertising, Commercial Aviation
- 2-D - Unframed (H x W): 38.1 × 61.3cm (1 ft. 3 in. × 2 ft. 1/8 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)