Capriccio Musicale (Circus)
Social Media Share Tools
- Daniel Vladimir Baranoff-Rossiné, Russian, b. Kherson, Ukraine, 1888–1944
- Joseph H. Gosschalk, Wassenaar, 1914-1951
- Mr. K. Noordenbos, The Hague, 1952-September 1966
- Mr. and Mrs. H. de Graaf, The Hague
- Christie, Manson and Woods, London, Sale, 2 December 1966, lot. 103, ill.
- Mary and Leigh B. Block, Chicago, 1966-1988
- Gift of Mary and Leigh B. Block, 1988
- Exhibition History
- CHAMPS DE MARS, Paris. "Artistes Independants, 30e Exposition," 1 March-30 April 1914, no. 2915.
- "DE ONAFHANKELYKEN," Amsterdam. "Beeldende Kunstenaars, 3de Internationale," May-June 1914, no. 455.
- [STEDELIJK MUSEUM, Amsterdam--Temporary Loans by both Gosschalk and Noordenbos. On view in permanent collection? See labels, no. B1070].
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. "Recent Acquisitions, 1986-1988," 15 March-14 May 1989, unpublished checklist, no.7.
- CENTRE NATIONAL D'ART ET DE CULTURE GEORGES POMPIDOU, Paris. "Sons et Lumieres," 22 September 2004-3 January 2005.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULPTURE GARDEN, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. "Visual Music, 1905-2005," 22 June-11 September 2005. TOUR: MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, Los Angeles, 13 February-22 May.
- Published References
- BREUILLAUD-LIMONDIN, PIERRE and MARIE-JOSE MAUSSET. "Baranoff-Rossine," unpublished thesis, University of Paris VIII (1979-80) [under the direction of Franck Popper], pp. 89-90, no. 259, ill. pl. XII.
- CHRISTIE'S. "Christie's Review of the Year, October 1966-July 1967," (1966), ill. p. 80 (attrib. to Romano Rossini).
- RICHARD, PAUL. "The Display of Daring," Washington Post (15 March 1989), B8-B9, ill. B1.
- "La Chronique des Arts," Gazette des Beaux-Arts no. 1442 (March 1989), no. 240, p. 43.
- GIBSON, ERIC. "Museum Pursues New Look," Washington Times (20 December 1992), n.p.
- HIRSHHORN MUSEUM AND SCULTURE GARDEN, 150 Works of Art (Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in association with Abrams, New York, 1996), colorpl. p. 28.
- OTTEVANGER, ALIED. "The 'delightful Russian-French sculptor/painter Baranoff-Rossine'," Jong Holland 16/2 (2000), no. 5, ill. pp.9-22, p. 69 (English summary).
- SONN, RICHARD D. Modernist Diaspora: Immigrant Jewish Artists in Paris, 1900-1945 (London/New York: Bloomsbury Visual Arts, 2022), fig. 5.3 (color), p. 197.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of Mary and Leigh B. Block, 1988
- Accession Number
- Oil and pencil on canvas
- 51 3/8 x 64 1/4 in. (130.4 x 163.1 cm) [irreg.]
- See more items in
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.