Social Media Share Tools
- Adolph Gottlieb, American, b. New York City, 1903–1974
- Andre Emmerich Gallery, New York, to 30 October 1958
- Joseph H. Hirshhorn, New York, 30 October 1958-17 May 1966
- Gift of the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation, 1966
- Exhibition History
- JEWISH MUSEUM, New York. Adolph Gottlieb Retrospective, 17 November-31 December 1957, no. 29.
- ANDRE EMMERICH GALLERY, New York. 3-31 January 1958. Adolph Gottlieb: New Work, no. 9.
- ANDRE EMMERICH GALLERY, New York. Artists as Collectors, 1958.
- COLISEUM, New York. Art: USA, 59, 3-19 April 1959, p. 84 (in "Who Collects American Art by Grace Borgenicht; not in main catalogue).
- WALKER ART CENTER, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Adolph Gottlieb, 28 April-29 June 1963, no. 19.
- VII BIENAL DE SAO PAULO. September-December 1963, no. 19.
- MARLBOROUGH-GERSON GALLERY, New York. Adolph Gottlieb, 13 February-3 March 1964.
- CORCORAN GALLERY OF ART, Washington, DC. Adolph Gottlieb: A Retrospective, 24 April-6 June 1981, no. 80, ill. p. 129, p. 168. Tour: THE TAMPA MUSEUM, Florida, 15 August-17 October; TOLEDO MUSEUM OF ART, Ohio, 7 November-19 December; ARTHUR M. HUNTINGTON ART GALLERY, University of Texas, Austin, 9 January-20 February 1982; FLINT INSTITUTE OF ART, DEWATERS ART CENTER, Michigan, 18 March-24 April; INDIANAPOLIS MUSEUM OF ART, Indiana, 15 May-19 June; LOS ANGELES COUNTY MUSEUM OF ART, California, 10 July-21 August, ALBRIGHT-KNOW ART GALLERY, Buffalo, New York, 11 September-31 October.
- (TEL AVIV MUSEUM, Israel. Retrospective? 23 November 1982-9 January 1983. Correspondence is incomplete.)
- DUKE UNIVERSITY MUSEUM OF ART, Durham, North Carolina. "Paintings of the 50s: Another Look, a loan of twenty-one paintings from the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden," 3 October-27 November 1983, ill. p. 20.
- CENTRO CULTURAL ARTE CONTEMORANEO, Mexico City, Mexico. Abstract Expressionism in the United States, 10 October 1996-12 January 1997.
- OFFICE OF THE UNDERSECRETARY FOR ART, Smithsonian Castle Building, Washington, DC., 26 October 2000- May 2009.
- MUSEUM WIESBADEN, Germany. "Vom Blauen Reiter zum Abstrakten Expressionismus," 31 October 2010-27 February 2011, p. 338; ill. p. 341.
- Published References
- GOOSSEN, EUGENE. (no title), Monterey (California) Peninsular Herald. (18 December 1957).
- GENAUER, EMILY. (no title--book review). New York Herald Tribune (12 January 1958).
- BALDWIN, CARL. "In the Galleries: Adolph Gottlieb," Arts 32 (January 1958): 53.
- UNSIGNED. "The Year's Best: 1958," Art News 57 (January 1959): ill. p. 45.
- Credit Line
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Gift of the Joseph H. Hirshhorn Foundation, 1966
- Art © Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation/Licensed by VAGA, New York, NY
- Accession Number
- Oil on canvas
- 42 1/8 x 60 1/8 in. (107 x 152.5 cm)
- See more items in
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Collection
- Abstract Expressionism (First Generation)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.