Badge, NASA, First Launch of the Space Shuttle, J. Ride, Sally Ride
- NASA, Kennedy Space Center
- Sally K. Ride
- This NASA ID badge owned by (Carol) Joyce Ride, Dr. Sally K. Ride's mother, allowed her into the viewing area for the first launch of the space shuttle, STS-1, in April 1981. She later gave the badge to her daughter. Sally Ride credited her parents for giving her the confidence to succeed in a male dominated world. "There was absolutely no sense--through all the years growing up--that there was any limit to what I could do or what I could pursue," she said. Sally Ride had been selected for astronaut training in 1978 and watched the launch from the backseat of a T-38 training jet.
- Sally Ride became the first American woman in space when she flew aboard STS-7 in 1983. Her second and last space mission was STS-41G in 1984. A physicist with a Ph.D., she joined the astronaut corps in 1978 as a part of the first class of astronauts recruited specifically for the Space Shuttle Program. Viewed as a leader in the NASA community, she served on the Rogers Commission after the Challenger disaster in 1986 as well as the Columbia Accident Investigation Board (CAIB) in 2003. She also led the task force that produced a visionary strategic planning report in 1987 titled, “NASA Leadership and America’s Future in Space,” but known popularly as the Ride Report.
- After she retired from NASA in 1987, Dr. Ride taught first at Stanford and later at the University of California, San Diego. Until her death in 2012, she was president and CEO of Sally Ride Science, a company that promoted science education.
- Dr. Ride’s partner, Dr. Tam O’Shaughnessy, donated the ID badge to the Museum in 2013.
- Credit Line
- Gift of Tam O'Shaughnessy
- Inventory Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Usage conditions apply
- 3-D: 10.2 × 1 × 6.7cm (4 × 3/8 × 2 5/8 in.)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Air and Space Museum Collection
- National Air and Space Museum
- Record ID
- Usage of Metadata (Object Detail Text)
- Not determined
- GUID (Link to Original Record)