Social Media Share Tools
- Some may know this orchid by its prior name, Pleurothallis aculeata; but few things remain unchanged, even orchid names. While Acianthera was a genus first described in 1842, it was not until recently that many more orchids were added to this genus by evidence gained from DNA sequencing.
- Bloom Time
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- Life Form
- Bloom Characteristics
- Cluster of flowers grow in the middle of leaf. Flower is .2" across.
- SE Ecuador (Cord. del Cutucú)
- In shade; 900m
- See more items in
- Smithsonian Gardens Orchid Collection
- Common Name
- The Prickly Acianthera
- The Prickly Pleurothallis
- [vascular plants]
- Smithsonian Gardens
- Living Collections
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.