Tin for Madame C.J. Walker's Wonderful Hair Grower
- Manufactured by
- Madam C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company, American, founded 1906
- Subject of
- Madam C.J. Walker, American, 1867 - 1919
- The canister is metal with yellow lacquer coloring its external surface. The outside of the canister is covered with textual and illustrative designs in black ink printed on top of the yellow lacquer. The product name [WONDERFUL HAIR GROWER] is written in horizontal text across the center of the lid beneath an ink illustration of a black woman pictured from her shoulders up with her hair down. Beneath the product name are additional lines of text which read [NET CONTENTS 2 OZ/MADE BY/THE MADAM C.J. WALKER/MANUFACTURING CO./INDIANAPOLIS, IND./PRICE 50 CENTS]. Above the illustration and curved to the arc of the lid edge is the brand name of the product in black text [MADAM C. J. WALKERS/TRADE MARK REGISTERED].
- Transcription Center Status
- Transcribed by digital volunteers
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift from Dawn Simon Spears and Alvin Spears, Sr.
- 1910s - 1920s
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Diameter: 2 3/4 × 13/16 in. (7 × 2.1 cm)
- Place made
- Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States, North and Central America
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Defending Freedom, Defining Freedom: The Era of Segregation, 1876-1968
- On View
- NMAAHC (1400 Constitution Ave NW), National Mall Location, Concourse 2, C 2053
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- African American
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.