Due to the snowstorm, all our Capital Region museums and the National Zoo will be closed today except for the American History Museum and the African American Museum, which are open. The American Indian Museum in New York is closed.
LIMA - Legal Issues in Museum Administration
Each spring since 1973, OGC co-sponsors a three-day course with the American Law Institute – Continuing Legal Education (ALI-CLE). The course is attended by museum administrators, trustees, and attorneys.
The Office of General Counsel invites you to attend the forty-sixth annual Legal Issues in Museum Administration conference, to be held Wednesday through Friday, April 18-20, 2018, at the Revere Hotel Boston Common in Boston, Massachusetts. Smithsonian employees may use the code CZ006SME and pay only $300 for tuition (in person or webcast). Please register soon if you plan to attend in person. Registration and conference schedule are available online: https://www.ali-cle.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=courses.course&course_code=CZ006.
The planning committee has selected an outstanding faculty from museums, private practice, and higher education in order to provide a diversity of perspectives on the legal and administrative challenges facing the museum community.
2018 program highlights include:
- Museums and engagement with social media, as well as legal issues emerging from new technologies
- Unique insights on topics like:
- Provenance and 21st century challenges
- Collection management issues and incident response plans
- Managing controversies
- Minors and museums: releases, policies, and common sense
- Climate considerations: preparing for natural disasters
- Perennial discussions in employment law, tax law and ADA compliance
Those who attend in person will have the opportunity to engage with faculty and other attendees during networking lunches and evening receptions at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the New England Aquarium. We are grateful to this year’s sponsors for their support of this rich program and exciting receptions.