All Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C., including the National Zoo, and in New York City continue to be closed to support the effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.
Smithsonian's Board of Regents Names Search Committee for New Secretary
Addthis Share Tools
The members of the search committee include the following:
- Alan G. Spoon (chair), Regent, managing-general partner of Polaris Venture Partners and former president of The Washington Post Company
- Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.), Regent
- L. Hardwick "Hacker" Caldwell, chair of the Smithsonian's National Board and ex-officio of the Board of Regents, and president of TSWII Management Company
- Anne d'Harnoncourt, Regent, the George D. Widener director of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Regent
- Walter E. Massey, physicist and president of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Regent (2001-March 2007), reappointment pending
- Jeffrey Minear, administrative assistant to Chief Justice of the United States John G. Roberts Jr., chancellor of the Smithsonian
- Roger W. Sant, Regent, co-founder of AES Corp. and chairman emeritus of its board, and chairman of the board of The Summit Foundation in Washington, D.C.
- Irwin Shapiro, senior scientist and former director of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
The search committee will be assisted by an executive search firm.
Currently, Cristián Samper (sahm-PAIR) is serving as Acting Secretary following the resignation of Lawrence M. Small March 24.