Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center Introduces “Care Package”
The Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center is presenting “Care Package,” an online exhibition of meditations, songs, poems and other works centered on healing practice. Accessible online at smithsonianapa.org/care, Care Package is a curated collection of original art derived from collaborations with Pacific Islander and Asian American artists, writers and scholars. Although most of the works were presented at past programs, this exhibition marks the first time they are available online.
“With the COVID-19 crisis, many of us are turning to mindful practice for relief from fear, anxiety and confusion,” said Adriel Luis, curator of digital and emerging practice. “Many of these approaches are derived from Asia and the Pacific, and we hope that Care Package reminds us that soulful and creative healing has always been deeply embedded in our cultures.”
Among the featured artworks are:
● Not So Distant, a guided meditation by Yumi Sakugawa
● AFTEREARTH, a short film by Jess X. Snow, Kit Yan and Peter Pa
● “Between You and You,” a poem by Sham-e-Ali Nayeem and Qais Essar
● Whakarongo, an embodied workshop by Jack Gray
● "Photosynth,” a sound bath by Low Leaf, Alex Abalos and Adam Labuen
● “Current, I,” a poem by Lehua M. Taitano
● Tea(r)ism, a guided meditation by Naoko Wowsugi
● The Corner of Heart-to-Hearts, a zine by Chad Shomura and Yumi Sakugawa
● “What Time Is It On The Clock of the World?” by Nobuko Miyamoto and Juan Perez
Care Package will continue unveiling works in the coming weeks, and it is part of the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center’s holistic series of responses to the unique and complex ways in which Pacific Islanders and Asian Americans are affected by the COVID-19 crisis and its repercussions.
For more information, visit the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center’s website.
About the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center
Established in 1997, the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center is a museum without walls that presents innovative, community-centered museum experiences throughout the United States and beyond. Follow the center on Twitter and Instagram: @SmithsonianAPA.
# # #