National Air and Space Museum Commemorates 75th Anniversary of D-Day
The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum will commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day with a full day of activities and programs Thursday, June 6, at the museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Museum experts will give an aeronautical perspective of the Allied invasion of Normandy, which gave them the foothold they needed to defeat Nazi Germany the following year. These talks and hands-on activities will take place between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Several artifacts related to World War II are displayed at the Udvar-Hazy Center in the World War II Aviation exhibition, which demonstrates some of the major technological advancements during the war, and World War II German Aviation, which tells the story of the rise and fall of the Luftwaffe.
Visitors to the Udvar-Hazy Center will have the opportunity to:
- Hear special curator presentations on D-Day topics, including:
- The role and preservation of the museum’s B-26 Marauder Flak Bait
- The transport of D-Day troops in Douglas C-47s
- The role of the 320th Barrage Balloon Battalion protected the Normandy beaches
- View archival materials collected by the museum’s archives department
- See photos of World War II in original color and virtual reality
- Snap a “We Can Do It” photo at the Rosie the Riveter selfie station
- Watch “D-Day 3D” in the Airbus IMAX Theater, fees apply
- Take a special D-Day-themed docent tour
- Enjoy musical performances by The United States Air Force Strolling Strings
To learn more about the museum’s anniversary activities, visit https://airandspace.si.edu/events/d-day-75th-anniversary.
The National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is located in Chantilly, Virginia, near Washington Dulles International Airport. The museum building on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., is located at Sixth Street and Independence Avenue S.W. Both facilities are open daily from 10 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. (closed Dec. 25). Admission is free, but there is a $15 fee for parking before 4 p.m. at the Udvar-Hazy Center.
# # #