The Compton Collection of Political Americana

September 1, 1980 – January 31, 1981

National Museum of American History
14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC

1st Floor, Pendulum Area Floor Plan

See 21 rare and unusual campaign objects, many types of which were previously not represented in Smithsonian collections. Many of the objects come from the 1860 presidential election; included is a collection of campaign lanterns, used in torchlight parades in the 19th century.

The collection was recently donated by Mr. and Mrs. George L. Compton of Tipton, Indiana.