Harley-Davidson Motorcycle 9-B, 1913
- Firestone Tire and Rubber Co.
- This is a model 9-B Harley-Davidson motorcycle manufactured in 1913. This motorcycle originally sold for $235.00 at the factory in Milwaukee, but was purchased secondhand in 1918 by the donor, who used it for several years. In 1947 the Harley- Davidson Motor Company restored it.
- The one-cylinder, four-cycle, air-cooled "5-35" (5 horsepower; 35 cubic inches displacement) engine bears serial number 4336-D. The drive is furnished by a double-reduction roller chain (covered by metal guards) that runs from a sprocket on the engine crankshaft to a sprocket at the hub of the rear wheel. The clutch, which is on the rear-wheel hub, is operated by means of a lever on the left side of the machine, and is engaged by moving the lever forward. The right side has a pedal-and-chain drive. With the rear wheel raised free by the stand and with the clutch engaged, the pedals are used to crank the motor. The brake is engaged by a slight backward pressure on the pedals. The pedals are not driven by the forward motion of the machine, but can be used for propulsion in an emergency, in which case the clutch is disengaged.
- Currently not on view
- Credit Line
- Gift of Paul Edward Garber
- ID Number
- catalog number
- accession number
- Object Name
- Motorcycle, 1913
- Harley Davidson
- Other Terms
- Motorcycle, 1913; Road
- in crate: 54 in x 37 in x 96 in; 137.16 cm x 93.98 cm x 243.84 cm
- See more items in
- Work and Industry: Transportation, Road
- America on the Move
- National Museum of American History
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)