Ensemble associated with Marian Anderson's 1939 Lincoln Memorial concert
Social Media Share Tools
- Created by
- Subject of
- Marian Anderson, American, 1897 - 1993
- The skirt and the decorative trim on the orange jacket were worn by Marian Anderson in 1939 when she sang at the Lincoln Memorial. In 1993, with Anderson’s permission, the original velvet jacket was remade using silk fabric.
- This is a virtual record for the orange tailored silk shantung jacket and black velvet skirt worn by Marian Anderson at her Lincoln Memorial Concert in 1939.
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Gift of Ginette DePreist in memory of James DePreist
- 1939; modified 1993
- Object number
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Proper usage is the responsibility of the user.
- Jacket: silk, metal, thread, sequin;
- Skirt: nylon velveteen, tulle, metal, cloth
- Jacket on form: 26 × 23 × 19 in. (66 × 58.4 × 48.3 cm)
- Skirt on form: 44 × 36 × 38 in. (111.8 × 91.4 × 96.5 cm)
- Place used
- Washington, District of Columbia, United States, North and Central America
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- African American
- Civil Rights
- Classical (Music)
- Clothing and dress
- Local and regional
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage (text)
- GUID (Link to Original Record)
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.