Dr. David J. Skorton was the 13th Secretary of the Smithsonian. He assumed his position July 1, 2015. Lonnie G. Bunch III is the 14th Secretary of the Smithsonian. He assumed his position June 16, 2019.
Under Skorton’s leadership, a new strategic plan was developed with a focus on convening critical conversations about topics of vital public interest. An example of this was the first-of-its-kind Earth Optimism Summit on Earth Day weekend 2017, which brought together scientists, thought leaders, conservationists, and students to share conservation and sustainability solutions that have worked and can work on a larger scale. The strategic plan also calls for increased outreach and attention to the relevance and impact of the Smithsonian’s activities.
From Secretary Skorton:
- "Commencement Address Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine," prepared remarks, May 21, 2018
- "Branches from the Same Tree," prepared remarks, National Academy of Sciences, May 7, 2018
- "How do we restore trust in our democracies? Museums can be a starting point," World Economic Forum, March 8, 2018
- "Trusted Sources: Why Museums and Libraries Are More Relevant Than Ever," Smithsonian Insider, March 2, 2017
- "A Planet in Peril: Q&A with Suzan Murray of the Smithsonian Global Health Program," Smithsonian Insider, November 7, 2016
- "The Smithsonian’s New Secretary David Skorton Takes Questions from the Crowd," Smithsonian magazine, October 14, 2015