The Chautauqua Idea

October 17, 2000 – November 14, 2000

Arts and Industries Building
900 Jefferson Drive, SW
Washington, DC 20560

East Hall

Photographs, paintings, and artifacts are used to demonstrate the contribution to American cultural history of the Chautauqua Institution, founded in 1874 by Ohio inventor Lewis Miller and Methodist minister John Heyl Vincent. The Institution is dedicated to lifelong learning to improve the mind, body, and spirit in a mix of arts, education, religion, and recreation. Chautauqua is also home to the oldest continuous book club in America, the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle (CLSC); 27 CLSC banners will also be on view.

No photography permitted