E-mail Address: MoiniM [at] si.edu
Museum Conservation Institute
4210 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD 20746
Ph.D. (Chemistry) Michigan State University
Research Specialties and Interests
- Analytical/Bioanalytical Mass Spectrometry
- Instrument Development
- Mechanism of Aging, and Dating of Proteinaceous Specimens
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry (1984-Present)
Awards, Honors and Special Recognitions
1) “Handheld/Portable Ultrafast Capillary Electrophoresis with adjustable porous tip in conjunction with Mass Spectrometry”, PCTUS1138630 (1), 2011.
2) “Interfacing Low Flow Separation Techniques with Mass Spectrometry”. Patent filed on January 12, 2007. This technology is licensed to Beckman-Coulter.
3) “A Novel Sheathless Interface for Capillary Electrophoresis/Electrospray Ionization-Mass Spectrometry Using an In-capillary Electrode”, Ping Cao and Mehdi Moini, The University of Texas at Austin. Patent # US 6,863,790 B1, Issue Date: March 8, 2005. This technology is licensed to Intellectual Ventures.
4) “Mass Spectrometer with Multiple Atmospheric Pressure Inlets (Nozzles)”, Longfei Jiang and Mehdi Moini, University of Texas at Austin. Patent # US 6465776 1B, Issue Date: 10/15/2002. This technology was originally licensed to Scientific Instrument Services.
- Recognition of the Significant Contribution for many years of dedicated and valuable service to the University, Texas State University 2010
- Certificate of Appreciation for valuable contribution and dedicated service in peer review of manuscripts submitted to American Chemical Society journals. ACS publications, 2011
56. *Moini, M., Klauenberg, K., Ballard, M. “Dating Silk By Capillary Electrophoresis Mass Spectrometry”, Anal Chem. 2011, 83, 7577-7581.
55. Araki, N, *Moini, M. “Age Estimation of Museum’s Wool Textiles from Ovis aries using Deamidation Rates Utilizing MALDI TOF MS” Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2011, 25, 3396-3400.
54. Moini, M, J. Longfei, Bootwala, S. “High Throughput Analysis Using Gated Multi-Inlet Mass Spectrometry” Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2011, 25, 789–794.
53. Moini, M. “Metal Displacement and Stoichiometry of protein-metal complexes under native conditions using CE-MS” Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2010, 24, 2730-2734
* designate the corresponding author.
2010 Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, “From the Analysis of Amino Acids to the Analysis of Intact Cells”. Oral Presentation
2010 National Institute of Health, “Application of Mass Spectrometry to Museum Specimen” 2010, Oral presentation.
2010 Development of a Handheld CE-MS, Idea Fair, Smithsonian Institution, 2010.
2011 MaSC Meeting, Harvard Art Museums “Application of Capillary Electrophoresis Mass Spectrometry (CE-MS) to the analysis and dating of Museum Biological Specimens” May 2011. Oral Presentation.
2011 Dating Silk with Amino Acid D/L Racemization Utilizing CE-MS, Mehdi Moini, Kathryn Klauenberg, and Mary Ballard, ASMS 2011, Denver Colorado. Poster Presentation.
2011 Development of a Hand-held Instrument for Unlocking some the Mysteries of the Universe, “Life and Cosmos Conference” Smithsonian Institution, Sept 2011-Oral presentation.
2012 New possibilities for the identification and dating of fabrics: Mary Ballard, Christine France, Caroline Solazzo, and Mehdi Moini. 24th General Assembly of CIETA Copenhagen, Denmark October 2011, Oral presentation
Teaching and Student Supervision
I have taught several graduate and undergraduate level courses on Separation Science, Mass Spectrometry, and Proteomics (Theory and Experimentation). I have also supervised several undergraduate and graduate students towards their achievement of BS, MS, and Ph.D. degrees.
Selected Media Links
Science magazine: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/10/a-handy-way-to-date-silk.html?rss=1
Chemical & Eng News: http://pubs.acs.org/iapps/wld/cen/results.html?line3=moini+silk
Smithsonian Magazine: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/How-Old-is-That-Silk-Artifact.html
Chemical & Eng News Sept 12, 2011
Smithsonian magazine Feb 2012 Issue.
BBC Knowledge Base Jan/Feb 2012 Issue