Smithsonian Scientific Diving Reciprocity
The dive plan must be received 6 weeks prior to planned diving activities. All requirements for scientific diver authorization must be completed, current, and submitted 2 weeks prior to planned diving activities.
To initiate the diving authorization process, the diver must complete the following steps:
Step 1: Contact the appropriate Smithsonian Diving Officer (DO). See contact information to determine which DO you should contact and how to reach him/her.
Step 2: Submit the Smithsonian reciprocity form to the Smithsonian DO.
If you were previously certified by an AAUS scientific diving program but are no longer EMPLOYED at that organization, proceed to the temporary diving authorization instructions.
No diving under Smithsonian auspices is allowed until:
- the Smithsonian reciprocity form has been reviewed and all elements have been completed, including the signatures of the scientific diver, home institution Diving Officer, and Department Chairperson, and;
- the submitted Smithsonian dive plan has been reviewed by the Unit Diving Officer and approved by the Smithsonian Scientific Diving Officer.
A dive plan authorization number emailed to you constitutes Smithsonian diving authorization.
- You must use the Smithsonian Scientific Diver Reciprocity Form.
- Dive computers, versus dive tables, are to be used as the primary means of determining decompression status.
- Divers-in-training are not eligible for scientific diving reciprocity at the Smithsonian.
- Dive logs must be submitted in DECOSTOP at the completion of diving activities.