- Get Involved
Selected Objects from the Smithsonian Institution Castle Collection
Oil lamp, ca.1883, cast zinc, glass font. H.131/2" x W.5" x D.5." SI.1974.192.
A poly-chromed cast figure of an Indian warrior in front of a tree stump stands on a square slate base. The figure's left arm is raised above his head and his right hand is holding a branch. The blown glass font has a brass filler cap and a mount for a burner which is missing. Though not marked, the design of this lamp base matches item number 1508 B, in the 1883-1884 Bradley & Hubbard Mfg. Co. Illustrated Catalogue of Kerosene Fixtures, p.171 (right), reprinted by Sirlampsalot Press, June, 2001, ©David Broughton.
Oil lamp, ca. 1905, nickel-plated brass, original blown glass shade. H.12" x Dia.61/2." SI.1989.041.
This table lamp (one of a pair) rests on a base pierced with a repeat design of scrolls and bosses. The font is embossed with scrolls, foliage, and fretwork motifs. A "spider" shade holder is a patented folding type supporting a student shade. The central draft burner is pierced overall with holes and retains its original wick and functioning wick raiser. The B&H maker's mark is stamped on filler cap. Also stamped with patent dates: Feb.28,1905 (on the burner), June 7,1898 (on the wick raiser) and Feb.16,1897 (on the shade holder).
Oil lamp, ca.1895, cast zinc, onyx, brass. H.23" x W.9" x D.9." SI.1988.041.
The base of this banquet lamp is cast in four sections and has four foliated and scrolled feet. The spaces in between feet are filled with pierced scroll and leaf designs. An onyx column surmounted by a cast Corinthian capital and a pierced brass cup supports the font holder. The ornamentation on the font holder consists of alternating cherubs and medallions. The brass font is embossed with The B&H inside a wreath medallion. Both the font holder and the base were patented by Bradley & Hubbard. Base: design patent dated March 19, 1895. Font holder: design patent dated June 30, 1891. Both design were by Albert Patitz and assigned to The Bradley and Hubbard Manufacturing Company.
Oil lamp, wall bracket, ca.1881, cast iron and glass. H.10" x W.13" x D.6." SI.1989.058.
This wall bracket oil lamp design consists of scrolls and foliage both embossed and pierced. The wall mounting plate is rectangular, having a strap across the middle to hold the peg of the bracket. The font holder bears the cast B&H mark and the numbers 1 & 12. The #12 refers to a font pattern called Open 'Light' Pattern in a Bradley & Hubbard catalogue dated 1882. The font holder is stamped PAT'D JUNE 7, 1881. The font is glass with a brass filler cap and burner flange, and has a letter M and a radiating pattern embossed in the bottom.
Oil lamp, ca. 1897, brass, green and white case glass shade. H.20" x W.15" x D.9." SI.1966.079.
This oil lamp has a round, weighted base with a central shaft screwed into it. The shaft supports the burner and font. The oil font is removable and features a stopping device that keeps the oil from spilling when it is replaced in its holder after filling (see mpeg). The burner unit is comprised of a small reservoir, a burner, a wick raiser, a shade holder and a chimney holder. The shade is green cased glass 10" dia. X 6"h. A patent date is stamped on the collapsible shade holder, Feb.16 '97 (not a B&H patent). The lamp is marked in two places: B&H in plain san serif letters on the base and B H DUPLEX on the wick raiser knob.
Oil lamp, ca. 1890, brass, cast iron, original green and white case glass shade. H.10" x W.9 1/4" x D.6 1/2." SI.1988.044.
The cast iron base of this lamp has four foliated feet and a ring of egg-and-dart molding around its top edge. The brass font is a patented design (below) consisting of embossed lozenges alternating with leaves. Two cast iron "rope" handles are attached. The central draft burner supports a "spider" type shade holder. Three other patent dates relating to mechanical devices are stamped on the lamp burner and font. The brass font is stamped The B&H in plain letters.
Gas lamp, Arts & Crafts Style, ca. 1900, cast iron, brass, original slag glass shade. H.20 1/2" x Dia.17." SI.1991.016.
Cast iron base is brass plated and has four feet with incised anthemion designs at each corner. Base supports a hollow square brass column through which runs the gas pipe. A "spider" shade holder consisting of four arms holds the octagonal shade which is made to resemble leaded glass. The base bears the round B&H with printer's flowers mark and the number 179.
Electric lamp, Arts & Crafts Style, ca. 1900, cast iron, brass. H.25 1/2" x Dia.20." SI.1998.003.
The base of this lamp is square and supports a central shaft, square in section. Both sections have a faux verdigris finish. Torch and wreath decorations are applied to each side of the shaft. The original slag glass shade is hexagonal in shape and constructed with the glass mounted in a metal frame in imitation of leaded glass. Each side of the shade's frame has an applied anthemion design. The base bears the round B&H with printer's flowers mark.
Oil lamp, ca. 1895, nickel-plated brass. H.12" x Dia.6 1/2." SI.2003.063.
A round conical base perforated along the foot with four-lobed openings. The base supports the font which is bun shaped with a seam around its midsection, gadrooning on the bottom and a recessed drip catcher around the top, as on a Lomax font. The oil burner is a central draft type that is threaded and screws into the font. The filler cap has raised letters: "B&H." The chimney holder is stamped: "Patented Aug. 30, 1892, Dec. 31, 1895, Apr. 23, 1895." The distributor has partially obscured patent dates: "July --, 90 and Nov. 20, 94." The wick raiser knob is stamped: "Pat. Applied For."
Oil lamp, ca. 1890 - 1900, copper plated brass, wrought iron. H.11" x W.6" x D.6." SI.2003.057.
Three scrolled and twisted wrought iron legs join a central twisted wrought iron shaft with bolts, the lower three bolts are in the shape of flowers. A copper-plated brass oil font embossed with flowers and fluting is attached to the central shaft. The burner, which is missing, was probably a miniature central draft type burner. The font is stamped: "THE B&H" and the filler cap is embossed: "B&H." This type of diminutive lamp, a miniature version of their popular banquet lamp, was called a "Boudoir Lamp."
Oil lamp with Shade Holder, ca. 1900, nickel-plated brass. H.12" x Dia.6 1/2." SI.2003.064 a&b.
The kerosene lamp has a weighted round cone-shaped base decorated with embossed Acanthus leaves and Anthemion leaves and is perforated around the lower edge with diamond shaped openings. The font is plain with a "Lomax" type trough at the top which is stamped "THE B&H," and has a filler cap stamped "B&H." The central draft burner is stamped with the patent dates: Aug. 30, 1892, Apr. 23, 1895, & Dec. 31, 1895. The wick raiser is stamped with the patents date: June 7, 1898 and the wick raiser knob stamped "Pat. Applied For." The flame spreader is stamped: "Patented July 1, 1890, Nov. 20, 1894." The folding shade holder is stamped with the patent date: "Feb.16, 1897."
Oil lamp, ca. 1901-1920, nickel-plated brass. H.10" x Dia.9." SI.2003.014.
The round base of the lamp is perforated to allow the flow of air up into the hollow wick chamber. Attached to the base is the font which is embossed with scrolls and acanthus leaves around the perimeter and again along the top edge. The burner screws into the font, is perforated over-all, and features a patented chimney ring which could be raised to allow lighting the wick without removing the chimney. The font is stamped: "B&H no. 96," has a screw filler cap embossed with the makers mark "B&H," and has a patented fuel indicator gauge (see detail)patented April 16, 1901. Known as the B&H Mammoth No. 96, it was illustrated in their 1902-1903 catalogue: Library Lamps, Hall Lamps, and Pendants, on pg.84. It was used primarily in stores, halls, and public buildings. The font was also used on oil heaters.
Oil Chandelier, Eastlake, ca.1871, cast iron, brass and glass. H.48" x W.36" x D.36." SI.1971.094.
This chandelier consists of three C-shaped and scrolled bracket arms connected to a central hub by means of patented dovetail joints dated May 26, 1868 (lower left). This patent was later amended on January 7, 1873 (lower right).
The hub has three cast iron stag heads attached between each arm. The arms hold a cast iron font holder and a glass oil font. The arms, ceiling cup, and font holders were patented Oct. 31, 1871 (upper right). The font holder was patented January 31, 1871by Nathaniel Bradley, the president of the company. Bradley's improved font holder was cast in one piece with a threaded socket for attaching to the arm of the fixture. The improvement alleviated a problem with other font holders in which excess kerosene would escape through bolt holes during the filling process.
Oil Chandelier, Eastlake, ca.1883, cast iron, brass and glass. H.48" x W.36" x D.36." SI.1989.037.
Although not marked, this chandelier can be attributed to the Bradley and Hubbard Manufacturing Company. Three arms (each cast in one piece) attach to a central hub by means of a patented dovetail arrangement (see Patents dated May 26, 1868 and January 7, 1873 (previous entry). The tops of the arms are secured by a decorative finial which screws into a flange. The cast iron font holder matches the font holder on chandelier SI.1971.094. This chandelier is item number 207, in the 1883-1884 Bradley & Hubbard Mfg. Co. Illustrated Catalogue of Kerosene Fixtures, p.33 (upper right ©David Broughton), reprinted by Sirlampsalot Press, June, 2001. As noted in the 1883-84 catalogue, chandelier #207 matched wall bracket fixture #211 (lower left, ©David Broughton).
Oil Lamp, ca. 1892 - 1900, brass, zinc, stone. H.23.5" x W. 7" x D. 7." SI.2006.060.
The base of this banquet lamp consists of four winged lion's paw feet supporting a square alabaster slab at the corners. Centered on the slab is a round metal base with 8 cast cartouches encircling it and topped with a brass ring. A column composed of a green alabaster tapering shaft topped by a cast metal composite Classical capital fits inside the base. A pierced brass cup decorated with embossed Acanthus leaves is attached to the top of the capital and supports the font holder. The font holder is cast in four sections and consists of C-scrolls and leaf filigree surrounding a female face. The oil font is a central draft type that rests freely inside the holder, its top edge is embossed with a repeating stylized egg and dart motif. The embossed Bradley and Hubbard logo: "THE B&H" is surrounded by a wreath. The inside of the font holder is stamped "Pat. Apl'd For" in four places. The chimney holder is stamped: "Patented March 27, 1888, July 26, 1892, August 30, 1892."
Wall Sconce, ca. 1900-1940, zinc, brass, iron, H. 11.25" x W. 4" x D. 5." SI.2006.061.
The brass wall plate is oval with a stamped egg and dart along its inner border. The reeded torch shaped fixture has a pineapple drop finial and flares out at the top. A Classically draped urn with a beaded edge holds the electrical socket with a chain pull at the front. The round "B&H" mark is soldered to the inside of the brass wall plate. A Bradley and Hubbard wholesale catalogue in a private collection lists this sconce as no. 2634 E with "Empire" finish.
Wall Sconce, ca. 1900-1940, brass, glass, H. 13.25" x W. 10" x D. 4." SI.2006.062.
Sconce, silver plated cast brass. The overall shape is that of a shield with a ring finial and turned drop finial. Two "S" shaped arms attach below the shield, each supporting a spun bobeche beneath globular candle holders. The electrical sockets are extended and covered with glass "candles" which slip over them. The round "B&H" mark is soldered to the inside of the shield wall plate.
Mirrored Wall Sconce, ca.1880, brass, glass, H. 19" x W. 10" x D. 3.5." SI.2004.024.
This mirrored wall sconce has two candle holders and a beveled mirror. The frame consists of a pierced solid cast brass sheet 3/16" thick with stylized flowers and foliage along the sides and in the four corners. The top and bottom each have a central diamond shape with flower surrounded by four smaller flowers and with the outside edge scalloped. A bracket is bolted through the bottom diamond and has a pair of tendril-like arms extending to each side to which are attached the candle holders. Each fluted and flared candle holder has a scalloped upper edge and a bobeche in the shape of a stylized flower. Cast into the back is the B&H mark and the number "3531." Although not marked with the patent date, the floral open work design is identical to a design patent issued September 11, 1883 to Albert Patitz.
by Richard E. Stamm
© Smithsonian Institution