Plan Your Visit to the Smithsonian
The Smithsonian is 19 world-class museums and a zoo—plus 9 research centers.
Most museums are open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery are open 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. All are closed Dec. 25. See Hours »
In D.C. Sept. 30, Oct. 1, or Oct. 2? We are looking for visitors to help us test a new product.
Learn more »
Admission is free:
- Smithsonian museums & the National Zoo (DC, VA)
- American Indian Museum Heye Center (NYC)
- Note: Tickets are not used for general admission.
Entry fee required:
- Cooper-Hewitt Museum (NYC) (closed for renovation)
Tips for visiting:
- Make the Smithsonian Information Center in the Castle your first stop. Open daily 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., 1.5 hours earlier than the museums.
Plan your visit; enjoy the Castle Café and free Wi-Fi.
- The use of public transportation is recommended. Washington's Metrorail subway system and Metrobus link the city with nearby communities in Maryland and Virginia. Metrorail is conveniently located near many Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo.