The National Museum of Natural History receives
numerous requests for information on careers in the biological sciences.
This pamphlet provides a listing of the career guidance leaflets published
by the professional scientific societies as well as United States Government
publications on careers in biology, conservation, and oceanography. Other
sources for career information are also included.
Many of the publications listed contain bibliographies and suggest additional
sources for career guidance. Information on career fields not listed can
be obtained by writing to the pertinent professional scientific society.
For the names and addresses of such societies consult the Encyclopedia
of Associations, National Organizations of the U.S., 28th edition, l994.
This encyclopedia is available at most large public libraries.
- A Greatly Improved Outlook for College Graduates: An Update to the
Year 2000. 1989. 8 pp. leaflet, No. 165V. $1.25. Describes employment
opportunities for college graduates in the coming decade. Department
of Labor. Available from R. Woods, Consumer Information Center-L, P.O.
Box 100, Pueblo, CO 81002
- Careers in Biology III by R.H. and B.W. Saigo. 1989. 4 pp. Single
copy, free. Includes salary levels, preparation, and employment opportunities.
Also, a leaflet on Industrial Microbiology. American Institute of Biological
Sciences, Education Division, 730 11th St., NW, Washington, DC 20001.
- Careers in Biology, an Introduction. 1991. Single copy free. National
Association of Biology Teachers. 11250 Roger Bacon Drive, No. 19, Reston,
- "Careers '92: Alternate Paths" reprint from 18 September
1992, Vol. 257, No. 5077, Science magazine, pp. 1707-1766. Available
from Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1333
H Street, NW., Washington, DC 20005.
- Career Opportunities in the Sciences. 1986. Single copy, free. Available
from the Office of Education. American Association for the Advancement
of Science, 1333 H St., NW, Washington, DC 20005. A listing of sources
- Federal Career Directory. 1990. Provides information on Federal employment;
agencies and contact persons listed. 271 pages. Available from the U.S.
Government Printing Office, Superintendent of Documents, Washington,
DC 20402. Stock no. 006-000-01339-2. $31.00.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. Published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics
every two years. Profiles more than 800 jobs and possibilities for earnings,
advancement, training and location of openings. It is the single best
source of information on careers and is available at most libraries
or may be ordered from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government
Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402. l992-93 edition, Stock no. 029-001-03091-6.
$23.00 edition. Reprints of sections on careers in biology, conservation,
fisheries are available from the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor
Statistics, Washington, DC. for $1.25 each.
- Opportunities in Biology. 1989. Committee on Research Opportunities
in Biology, Board on Biology, Commission on Life Sciences. 448 pp. Available
from National Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Ave., N.W., Washington,
DC 20418. $42.50. A survey of the field; important trends.
- "Science Careers" reprint from 24 May 1991 Science magazine,
pp. 1110-1148, $1.25 plus $1.50, postage and handling. Write to Science,
American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1333 H St., NW,
Washington, DC 20005. Trends for the 90's, recent data on salaries,
hot fields, entering academia.
- The Job Outlook in Brief. l990-2005. 36 page pamphlet, $2.25. Projects
job prospects for more than 250 occupations to year 2005. Superintendent
of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402.
Stock no. 029-001-03124-6.
- Working for Life Careers in Biology by Thomas A. Easton. 2nd edition,
1988. Plexus, Medford, New Jersey. 127 pp. Available at public libraries.
Return to the List
SPECIFIC CAREER FIELDS
** Various departments of government at state level publish information
on careers and employment. Write to your State Department of Labor, Office
of Education, Department of Natural Resources, Conservation, or Commerce
at the capital city of your state.
- Careers in Animal Biology. 1982. Single copy, free. American Society
of Zoologists, Box 2739, California Lutheran College, Thousand Oaks,
- Careers in the Animal Kingdom by W. Oleksy. l980. Messner, New York.
255 pp. Question and answer format; interviews with 40 men and women
in animal careers. Available at public libraries.
- Careers Working with Animals: an introduction to occupational opportunities
in animal welfare, conservation, environmental protection, and allied
professions by Guy R. Hodge. l981. Acropolis Books, Washington. l52
pp. Available at the Humane Society of the U.S., 2l00 L St., NW, Washington,
DC 20037. $6.95. Manual describing animal-related careers, employment
outlook, and a listing of colleges offering pertinent programs.
- Careers Working with Animals. Free leaflet. Brief description. Humane
Society of the U.S., 2100 L St.,NW, Washington, DC 20037.
- Exploring Animal Care Careers by Charlotte Lobb. l980. Richard Rosen
Press, New York. ll2 pp. Examines 20 careers, many of which require
little or no post-high school training. Available at public libraries.
- The Purpose of Zoos & Aquariums. Free leaflet. 1984. American
Association of Zoological Parks & Aquariums, Oglebay Park, Wheeling,
- Zoo & Aquarium Careers. Free Leaflet. l989. American Association
of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. Oglebay Park, Wheeling, WV 26003.
- Zoo Jobs. Free leaflet. National Zoological Park, Washington, DC 20008.
- Zoo Keeping as a Career. Free leaflet. American Association of Zoo
Keepers. Chicago Zoological Society. Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield, IL
BIOCHEMISTRY and MOLECULAR BIOLOGY:
- Unlocking Life's Secrets. Career Opportunities in Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology. 1990. 16 page brochure. Single copy free. American
Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB), 9650 Rockville
Pike, Bethesda, MD 20816.
- Careers in Botany. Single copy free. Available from Robert Essman,
Botanical Society of America, Department of Botany, Ohio State University,
1735 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH 43210.
- Exploring Careers in Agronomy, Crops, and Soils. 25 page free booklet.
American Society of Agronomy, 677 South Segoe Rd., Madison, WI 537ll.
Describes job opportunities, salaries, and provides a list of universities
and colleges to whom you may write for more information.
- Careers in Horticulture. a video from the American Society for Horticultural
Science, 113 South West Street, Suite 40, Alexandria, VA 22314. Introduces
students to horticulture career opportunities in production, design,
marketing research, and teaching. Kit includes the VHS-format video,
counselor's guide, 10 copies of a student brochure, and a list of schools
with 4 year and advanced degree programs. Complete package is $39.95,
- Plant Physiology. Free booklet.Updated. Society of Plant Physiologists,
East Gude Drive, P.O. Box l688, Rockville, MD 20850
- Opportunities in Cell Biology. 1989 update. Booklet available from
the American Society for Cell Biology, 9650 Rockville Pike, MD 20814.
- Discover Entomology. l989. 9 page booklet. Single copy free. Entomological
Society of America, 9301 Annapolis Road, Suite 300, Lanham, MD 20706-3115.
- Entomologists in Agricultural Research Service. l978 revised. Free
leaflet. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research, Personnel
Division, Federal Bldg., Hyattsville, MD 20782.
- Career Opportunities for the Herpetologist. 1989. Single copy, free.
The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH), Secretary,
Dr. Carter R. Gilbert, Florida Museum of Natural History, Department
of Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611.
- Herpetology as a Career. 1985. Single copy free.Society for the Study
of Amphibians and Reptiles (SSAR). Douglas H. Taylor, Department of
Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056.
ICHTHYOLOGY and FISHERIES SCIENCE:
- Careers in Fisheries. 1990. Free leaflet. American Fisheries Society,
5410 Grosvenor Lane, Suite 110, Bethesda, MD 20814-2199. Career choices
and employment opportunities.
- Careers in Ichthyology. 1991. Prepared by Lynne Parenti and Richard
P. Vari. 4 page free leaflet. American Society of Ichthyologists and
Herpetologists (ASIH) Business Office, Department of Zoology, Southern
Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-6501
- Fisheries Programs and Related Courses at North American Colleges
and Universities. 1990. 12 page leaflet. Single copy $.25. American
Fisheries Society, 54l0 Grovesnor Lane, Bethesda, MD 208l4. A guide
to students in selecting university fisheries programs: criteria, qualifications,
listing of universities.
- Outdoor Opportunities in Forestry, Wildlife Management, Fisheries
Management. l980. Employment Research Associates, P.O. Box l025, Albany,
NY l220l. 5l pp. $6.95.
- For career information, write to the American Society of Zoologists,
Box 2793, California Lutheran College, Thousand Oaks, CA 93l60.
- Career Opportunities for Marine Mammal Trainers. Free leaflet. Sea
World Education Department, l720 South Shores Rd., Mission Bay, San
Diego, CA 92l09.
- Journal of Mammalogy, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 92-96, 1994. "Career
trends in mammalogy," by G.W. Barrett and G.D. Peles.
- The Science of Mammalogy and Careers in Mammalogy. Free leaflets.
American Society of Mammalogists, Cindy Rebar, Department of Biological
Science, Murray State University, Murray, KY 42071.
- Strategies for Pursuing a Career in Marine Mammal Science. 14 page
Supplement to Marine Mammal Science, Vol. 10, No. 2, April 1994. Available
from Allen Press, P.O. Box 1897, Lawrence Kansas 66044-8897. Single
student copy, $1.50; non-student copy, $2.70. Answers questions of salary,
education, employment opportunities, practical experience, graduate
study and programs, training, and additional sources of information.
Additional information on marine mammal training, schools, and opportunities
in the field is available from the International Marine Animals Trainer's
Association, c/o Steve Shippe, Naval Ocean Systems Center, P.O. Box
997, Kailua, HI 96734-0997.
- Careers in Protozoology. Free leaflet. Society of Protozoologists,
c/o Dr. R. Barclay McGhee, Department of Zoology, University of Georgia,
Athens, GA 30602.
- Colleges and Universities Granting Degrees in Microbiology. Reprint
listings, Single copy, $1.00. American Society for Microbiology, l9l3
I Street NW, Washington, DC 20006. Updated every two years.
- Careers in Ornithology. 1989. Reprinted from article in American Birds,
Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 29-37. Single copies of article available for $1.00,
10 for $3.00, 25 for $6.50. Send checks payable to AOU to Max C.Thompson,
Asst. to American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) Treasurer, Department
of Biology, Southwestern College, 100 College St., Winfield, KS 67156.
- Paleontology as a Career. Free leaflet. Department of Paleobiology,
c/o Ray Rye, Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington,
- Careers in Parasitology, Medical Zoology, Tropical Medicine. Free
booklet. American Society of Parasitologists, P.O. Box 368, l04l New
Hampshire St., Lawrence, KS 66044.
- Career in Physiology. 24 page booklet revised. American Physiological
Society, 9650 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20014.
- Careers in Scientific Illustration. 10 page booklet, $1.50. Also,
free leaflet, Art of Natural Science Illustration describing work of
an illustrator and activities of the Guild. Scientific Illustration
Courses and Books,$2.50, and Scientific Illustration, a Creative Source
Directory (members) $18.00. Available from the Guild of Natural Science
Illustrators, Inc. P.O. Box 652, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, DC
- Careers in Biological Systematics. l986. Single copy,free. Additional
copies, $1.00 each. Society of Systematic Zoology, c/o National Museum
of Natural History, Attn. Cathy Bruwelheide, Rm. W 114, Smithsonian
Institution, Washington, DC 20560.
Return to the List
- A Wildlife Conservation Career for You. 1987 update. Single copy free;
1-10 copies, 50 cents. Wildlife Society, 5410 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda,
- Career Guide 2000. Fishery, Forestry, Wildlife and Related Occupations
by W.J. Hoagman, 1977, Reminston House, Hayes, VA. Booklet. Lists and
describes occupations, specific and college requirements, schools and
federal agencies. Available at libraries.
- Career Profiles. l979 revised. Free leaflet, FS 308. U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Forest Service, P.O. Box 24l7, Washington, DC 200l3.
- Careers in Conservation : Profiles of People Working for the Environment
by Ada and Frank Graham. l980. Sierra Club Books, Scribner's Sons, NY.
Opportunities in conservation, endangered species, and public education.
- Careers in Ecology. Single copy free and on web site (http://www.esa.org/).
Ecological Society of America, 2010 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Suite 400,
Washington, DC 20036. Includes educational background, opportunities,
prospects for employment and salary.
- Careers in the United States Department of the Interior. Xeroxed information
sheets and various leaflets. Single copies free from the United States
Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Publications
Unit, Washington, DC 20240. Describes biological science position, educational
requirements, summer positions, how to apply, where to file, and Federal
Job Information Testing Offices.
- Careers: Professional and Administrative Careers 1986 .Free booklet.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, P.O. Box 2417, Washington,
DC 20013. Details career opportunities and qualifications for jobs in
Forestry, Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Landscape Architecture, Range
Conservation, Research, Soil Science and Wildlife Management.
- Challenging Careers in Soil Conservation. l98l. Single booklet, free.
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, P.O. Box
2890, Washington, DC 200l3.
- Conservation Careers. 1983. Single copy, free. National Wildlife Federation,
Education Division, l4l2 l6th St, NW, Washington, DC 20036.
- Conservation Directory. An excellent list of organizations, agencies
and officials involved with natural resources management. Lists Colleges
and Universities in the U.S.& Canada that have programs in biology,
conservation, environmental sciences, and ocean sciences. $18.00 plus
$3.95 shipping and handling from the National Wildlife Federation, 1412
16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20036.
- Endangered Species Update. April 1993, Vol. 10, No. 6 Supplement.
7 pages on "Careers: Advice from leading environmental professionals
on how to get started." Compiled and edited by Lisa S. Yee and
available from the School of Natural Resources and Environment, The
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1115.
- Earth Work, Vol. 2 No. 6 pp. 6-31, 1992. "Conservation career
closeup: National Marine Fisheries Service." by W. Fox. P.O. Box
550, Charlestown, NH 03603.
- Exploring Careers: Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Occupations.
Reprints from the Occupational Outlook Handbook. $1.25 each. U.S. Department
of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Washington, DC.
- Exploring Careers in Agronomy, Crops, and Soils. 1989. Single copy
free. American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America,
Soil Science Society of America, 677 South Segoe Rd., Madison, WI 53711.
- Guide to Conservation Careers. l984. Single copy, free. List of references
and leaflets on careers dealing with soil, water, fish, wildlife and
forest conservation. National Association of Conservation Districts,
Rm.ll05, l025 Vermont Ave., NW, Washington DC 20005.
- Make A Difference- Challenge Yourself with a Forest Service Career.
1990. Free 19 page booklet. Includes leaflets on how to apply and salary
schedule. USDA, Forest Service, 12th & Independence SW, P.O. Box
96090, Washington, DC 20090-6090.
- National Park Service Careers Free 20 page booklet. U.S. Department
of the Interior, National Park Service, P.O.Box 37126, Washington, DC
- Opportunities in Environmental Careers by Odom Fanning. 3rd edition.
1981. National Textbook Co., Skokie, IL. 150pp. Available from public
and university libraries.
- So You Want to be in Forestry. 16 page booklet. Single copy free.
American Forestry Association and the Society of American Foresters.
5400 Grosvenor Lane, Bethesda, MD 20814. Also, Job Seekers' Guide available.
- Society of American Foresters Accredited Professional Forestry Degree
Programs- 1989. Free leaflet. Lists programs and schools. American Foresters.
5400 Grosvenor La. Bethesda, Md 20814-2198.
- The Complete Guide to Environmental Careers. 1989. CEIP Fund, 68 Harrison
Ave., Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02111-1907.
- The Environmental Career Guide by N. Basta. 1992. John Wiley Press.
- Universities and Colleges Offering Curricula in Wildlife Conservation.
1983 update. Free leaflet. Wildlife Society, 7l0l Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda,
**For information about conservation career opportunities in state agencies,
write to your state Department of Conservation, Department of Natural
Resources, or Department of Fish and Wildlife in the capital city of your
Return to the List
- Careers in NOAA 1991. Free 15 page booklet describes the kinds of
jobs held by people working for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration. Includes employment information. Available from the
U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA, Office of the Under Secretary for
Oceans and Atmosphere. Washington, DC 20230.
- Careers in Oceanography and Marine Related Sciences. Free booklet
published by the Oceanography Society is available from Patrick Dennis,
Office of the Oceanographer of the Navy, OP-0996, 34th and Massachusetts
Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20392.
- Careers in Oceanography. 25 pp. Single copy, free. Examines subfields
of oceanography, undergraduate and graduate schools, and laboratories.
Available from the American Geophysical Union, 2000 Florida Ave.,NW,
Washington, DC 20009.
- Careers in Oceanography. Free leaflet describes the fields of oceanography,
qualifications, preparation to become an oceanographer, and employment
outlook from Oregon State University, School of Oceanography, Corvallis,
- Careers in the Marine Sciences/ Carreras en las Ciencias Marinas by
Marie Beatriz Riesco. PRU-E-16. University of Puerto Rico Sea Grant
Program, Publications, Department of Marine Sciences, University of
Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, PR 00708. A free guide for those considering
a career in the marine sciences; question and answer format.
- Careers in Marine Science. Available free from the National Aquarium
in Baltimore, Department of Education and Interpretation, Pier 3, 501
East Pratt St., Baltimore, MD 21202-3194.
- Career Kit. Information on marine
biology careers; includes suggested college courses and schools can
be found at www.swbg-estore.com.
A catalog of educational
products such as career-related videos and books can be requested by
writing to SeaWorld Florida, Education Department, 7007 Sea World
Drive, Orlando, FL 32821-8097.
- Earth Work, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 4-10, 1992. " The new era of oceanographic
careers," by J. Twiss, Jr.
- Geology Science & Profession. Single copy free. U.S. Department
of the Interior, Geological Survey, Geologic Inquiries Group, Reston,
Virginia 22092. Describes the work of a marine geologist.
- Marine Career Series: Marine-Related Occupations. A Primer for High
School Students. Marine Memo. 41. Rhode Island Sea Grant, Publications
Unit, Univ. of Rhode Island/Bay Campus, Narragansett, RI 02882. Refer
- Marine Careers, an 18 minute video presentation that describes career
opportunities in marine-related professions. Introduces viewers to skills,
training requirements, outlook, and salary range in variety of marine-related
jobs. Sells for $15.00; inquire for rental arrangement. Make checks
payable to the University of Delaware and mail request to University
of Delaware Sea Grant, Marine Communications Office, 263 E. Main St.,
Newark, DE 19716. Tel. (302) 831-8083. Refer to: DELU-F-93-001.
- Marine Careers Resources. Free leaflet. Sea World Education Department,
1720 South Shores Road, San Diego, CA 92109-7995.
- Marine-related Careers. 2 pp, free. 1988. OHSU-FS-)12. Ohio Sea Grant,
Ohio State University, 1314 Kinnear Rd., Columbus, OH 43212. Listing
of references on world of work in the water.
- Marine Careers: The Oceanographer. Free leaflet by William R. Hall.
1991. Describes 5 kinds of oceanographers and lists sources of marine
careers materials. University of Delaware Sea Grant, Marine Communications
Office,263 E. Main St., Newark, DE 19716.
- Marine Careers: The Scientist. Free leaflet by William R. Hall and
Elizabeth A. Chajes. 1993. Describes the specializations in marine careers
and how to become a marine scientist. Lists additional sources of information.
Write to University of Delaware Sea Grant, Marine Communications Office,
263 E. Main St., Newark, DE 19716. Refer to DELU-G-93-001.
- Marine Education. Bibliography of educational materials available
from the Sea Grant College Programs that includes listing all Sea Grant
programs in marine science, internships and educational opportunities.
Available from Sea Grant Marine Education Bibliography, Gulf Coast Research
Laboratory, J.L. Scott Marine Education Center and Aquarium, P.O. Box
7000, Ocean Springs, MS 39564-7000
- Ocean Opportunities. 1986. 30 page booklet, $3.00. Write to Marine
Technology Society, 1825 K St., N.W., Suite 218, Washington, DC 20006.
Describes the various subfields in oceanography (biological,chemical,
geological, etc.)with a listing of colleges and universities offering
degrees in the science.
- Oceanographic Institutions: Science Studies the Sea, by Peter Limburg.
l979. Elsevier Nelson, NY. Profiles several oceanographic institutions,
summarizes U.S. marine research and oceanographic study in foreign countries;
provides general information on careers. Available at public and university
- Oceanus. 1990, Vol. 33, No. 3, 80 pp. "Marine Education"
issue includes graduate and undergraduate marine programs, Sea Grant's
role, and practical learning experiences. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution,
9 Maury Lane, Woods Hole, MA 02543.
- Opportunities in Marine and Maritime Careers by William Ray Heitzmann.
l988. 2nd ed. Available from VGM Career Horizons, National Textbook
Company, 8259 Niles Center Rd., Skokie, IL 60077. Covers wide range
of jobs: undersea diving, maritime transportation, oceanography and
marine sciences, information on salaries, education, and tips on how
to get started.
- Preparing for a Career in Oceanography. 8 page brochure. Single copy
free from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, A-033, University of
California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093. Describes multidisciplinary
aspects of oceanography, undergraduate and graduate preparation, and
curricular programs at Scripps with selected facilities.
- Questions About Careers in Oceanography. 18 pages. Single copy free.
TAMU-SG-87-401. Appropriate for grades 7-12. Write to Marine Information
Service, Sea Grant College Program, Texas A&M University, College
Station, TX 77843-4115.
- Scientific Marine Careers. E-1355. 30 cents per copy. Also Professional
Marine Careers, E-1356, and Technical Marine Careers E-1357. Michigan
Sea Grant Extension, MSU Bulletin Office, P.O. Box 6640, East Lansing,
MI 48826-6640. Describes work of marine biologists, environmental scientists,
fisheries technicians, geological oceanographers, marine bacteriologists,
marine ecologists and many other occupations that touch on the marine
- Sea Technology Buyer's Guide/Directory 1987-88. Section F, pp. F1-F16.
Lists U.S. and adjacent institutions of higher learning with programs
in oceanography, ocean engineering, and marine technology; describes
programs, facilities available, and degree offered with a contact for
further information. Copies of the Guide/Directory can be ordered for
$19.50 plus $1.50 postage from Compass Publication, Inc., Suite 1000,
1117 North 19th St., Arlington, VA 22209.
- So You Want to Be a Marine Scientist. $1.00. Seaquarium Science Series,
No. 2. Miami Seaquarium, 4400 Rickenbacker Causeway, Virginia Key, Fl
- Summer Opportunities in Marine and Environmental Science: a compilation
of jobs, internships, study, camp & travel programs for high school
and college students by Joy A. Herrioff and Betty G. Herrin. 1985. White
Pond Press, Londonderry, New Hampshire. 46 pp.
- Training and Careers in Marine Science. Paperback booklet, 11 pp.,
free to members, $5.00 non-members. International Oceanographic Foundation,
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, FL 33l49. Describes branches and
specialties of marine science, preparation needed, job prospects, compensation,
useful hints to students, and a reading list.
- University Curricula in the Marine Sciences and Related Fields. 1981/82.
Single copy, no charge. Public Affairs Office, Naval Oceanographic Office
Bay St.Louis, NSTL, Mississippi 39522-5000.
- University Curricula in Oceanography and Related Fields. 1989-91.
$5.00. Marine Technology Society, 1825 K St.,N.W., Suite 218, Washington,
DC 20006. A guide to various universities with programs in oceanography
and the marine sciences.
- Vocational-Technical Marine Career Opportunities in Texas. l980. Single
copy free. No. TAMU-SG-80-402. Sea Grant Program, Texas A&M Univ.,
College Station, TX 77843.For high school counselors, teachers, and
- What is Oceanography. Free Fact Sheet, P915, from the Information
Office, Rhode Island Sea Grant, University of Rhode Island Bay Campus,
Narragansett, RI 02882-1197.
Return to the List
SOURCES FOR CAREER INFORMATION
- A Guide to Career in Science Writing. booklet , 10 pages. National
Association of Science Writers, Inc., P.O. Box 294, Greenlawn, NY 11740.
- Career Briefs- Summaries- Job Guides. New list published each September
by Careers, Inc., P.O. Box 135, Largo, Fl. 34649-0135. Write for list
of titles and prices.
- Career Opportunities News. Write to Garrett Park Press, Garrett Park,
Maryland 20896 for sample newsletter and subscription fees. Articles
on current outlook on various occupations; featured careers; reports
and new books on various careers.
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance. William E. Hopke,
editor. 1987. 7th edition, 3 Vols. J.G.Ferguson Pub.Co., Chicago. A
- Peterson's Annual Guide to Undergraduate Study, Four Year Colleges.
1993. Princeton, NJ: Peterson's Guides, Inc.
- Peterson's Guide to Graduate Programs in the Biological and Agricultural
Sciences, BK. 3, 25th ed. 1993. Princeton, NJ: Peterson's Guides, INc.
- Women in the Sciences. LC Science Tracer Bullet TB83-8.Free Bibliography
from Science and Technology Division, Library of Congress,l0 First St.
SE, Washington, DC 20540
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Public Affairs, Woods Hole,
Massachusetts 02543.Information Center-L, P.O. Box 100, Pueblo, CO 81002
Return to the List
Prepared by the Department of Systematic Biology,
Vertebrate Zoology Section,
National Museum of Natural History, in cooperation with Public Inquiry Services, Smithsonian Institution